Wednesday 9 March 2016

A layout Process 2

Hello all,

Today I'm sharing with you my next 'Layout Process'. I hope this gives you a little idea into my process for creating a layout and how I develop layers and depth to my pages.
I have used a paper line from Dovecraft for this layout called Sweet Paris. I have loved this  collection ever since it was released and have to own up to hoarding it and stroking it until finally deciding to use it ! It is very pretty and shabby chic and perfect for all types of projects.

Here is the layout we are going to be following today.



So lets begin....

First I went through the paper collection and chose my favourite papers that I wanted to use. I chose 5 different ones, 2 for my background pages and the others for layers. I am using a black and white photo, this makes paper choice a lot easier as there are no colours to match from photo to paper. The photo is nice and bright and clear for a black and white photo which also helps 'lift' it of the page.


My main focal background paper I cut 1cm off from all edges so I could  mat it onto the 2nd background paper to create the pale green border later on.  I would normally gut the middle out of the bottom green paper and use for layering later on but these papers are a little thin so I left it whole to keep it more sturdy.


I cut out some different size oblongs from the papers I have chosen for my layers and one oblong that is 1/2" wider all-round than my photo for photo matting.


I then started moving them around on my page with the photo to get an arrangement I liked, doing any trimming or changing of size to the oblongs as I went.  I did want to see a good amount of each paper. I also included the doilies into my layering. This is one doily cut in half - makes them go further.
At this point, if you have trouble remembering your placement of papers, take a photo on your phone or camera to look back at when we put it all together. 


I then distressed and inked all my edges of paper.


This shows the inked edge with the Frayed Burlap ink.


I now started putting my layers together in stages but not stuck to the background paper yet.
So remember not to tape all-around the edges just in the places that are going to be attached to another layer like the one in the top of the photo.


You can see in this photo that I have put my layers together in 3 different groups. In these groups all the papers are layered up flat - they haven't been 'lifted up' by anything. This is why they are in groups because now I am going to add cardboard  (or foam pads - cardboard is cheaper) inbetween these groups to add depth and some 'space' to slot embellishments into.


I wanted to create a softness to the layout so I apply a layer of slightly watered down gesso to the area I am going to put my design making it slightly bigger so it shows out from all my layers when placed on top. Allow to dry or use a heat gun to dry.


Next I added some white crackle texture paste through a mask.......


....in patches around the edge of the gesso area, so again this shows out from underneath our layers later on.


Time for a cuppa whilst it all dries !
When dry stick it with tape to the green mat background paper.


Now for the cardboard !


I have used two different thicknesses of cardboard as you can see in the photo.


My first group of layer papers are being backed with the thinner cardboard, so they are only just lifted of the background paper.
I always do this with a gap the whole way around the cardboard so there is room to push embellishments underneath after.  Add tape or glue to the cardboard and turn over and stick to the backs of the papers.


Now add glue or tape again to the now bare cardboard and place the whole thing in position on your background paper......


.......so it looks like this.


My 2nd group of layer papers were also backed with the thin cardboard and stuck into place.


My top and final layer of papers were backed with the thicker cardboard, leaving plenty of room around the outside of it and then stuck in place.


So with it now looks like this.


Now I took a pretty frame (product list at end) and cut it in half....


and pushed it in between the top and middle layers of papers where the thick cardboard is, so they sat on top of the doilies. It looks like the whole frame is underneath the paper, nobody would know its been cut and its doubled your embellishments !
I did the same again with another frame in a different part of my layout.


Now I added some tags with the brads used in the tag holes and slightly slotted underneath the lower layers.


Another tag and brad added.


I went round the edges of some of the paper layers with a white pen doing some Faux stitching.
I then finished off with some lace slotted under some layers and the final embellishments.
The buttons I tied thread through. The chippie title I painted with gesso and then when dry covered with a pink embossing powder. I lifted that up by gluing it on top of some buttons, again this just adds extra depth.
I loved the little Eiffel Tower charms, so had to add one of those, with some flowers, pearls, pins and sticker swirls.  And job done !

Here are some close ups of the finished article !










So here is the product list;

Dovecraft; Sweet Paris paper collection 12x12
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Wooden Buttons
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Stick Pins
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Wooden Frames
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Metal Charms
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Chipboard Tags
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Paper Doilies
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; adhesive Pearls
Dovecraft; Sweet Paris; Glitter Stickers
Tim Holtz; Distress Ink pad; Frayed Burlap
gesso
Bakers Twine and thread
Flowers from Hobbyhouse
Lace
Dreamweavers Crackle embossing paste
Blue Fern Studios; chippie; Smile
Prima Marketing; Brads
Gelli roll White pen

I hope you have enjoyed my layout process

Thanks for stopping by

Ginny  :)












No comments:

Post a Comment